As an FYI more than anything else. Somebody asked Mike Mearls (of WoTC) about Greyhawk recently. His responses: "I know patience is difficult, but we really are looking at ways to bring all the settings back." & "What we want is this - bring back all the settings AND grow D&D, rather than divide and reduce it as happened in the past. #WOTCstaff"
I think that is the right attitude. However, I doubt anyone ever intentionally divided and reduced it in the past. Any time you create new product that some people like and some people don't, a division is created. I think that's inevitable. However, the goal of 5e being an edition everyone can like is admirable, and I appreciate that they are showing an awareness of us older edition gamers. So, I'm trying to keep an open mind.
At least its agreeing that they made a mistake even though the correction is probably going to be an upgraded mistake!
There is no salvageability in most of what Mearls thinks is D&D like DRAGONLANCE for instance. On a superficial level, the Elmore art of Dragonlance would draw in half the people that I played with to take a second look but the minute any info about DL is disseminated then 100% all squirm. Someone who has drunk the Kool-Aid like Mearls is most likely going to compromise by setting more GH locales in the Forgotten Realms...
MEARL GH CONSIDERATION POSSIBILITIES:
1) SUPERFICIAL NAME CHANGES: Frost-Ice-Snow Barbarians/Frost-Ice-Snow Sewing Circles, Horned Society/Tattooed Society, Furyondy/Historyondy, Great Kingdom/ Entitled Kingdom, Wild Coast/ Wild Coast & Resorts, Bandit Kingdoms/Scout Kingdoms, Plains of the Paynims/Plains of the Halal Shwarma, Iron Kingdom/Garbage Can-Sized Pauldrons Kingdom, Keoland/ Kutielfgurl Land, Rovers of the Barrens/Hostile Debaters of the Barrens, Theocracy of the Pale/Gothocracy of the Pale, and Gynarchy of Hardby/ Transgendarchy of Bruceby.
2) CIRCLE OF EIGHT: is is now going to be the Circle of 4 and include Elminster, Dalamar, Mordenkainen and Suthaze (from Snarfquest).
3) TSOJCANTH: tattooed pretty boy with a gossamer negligee and a neat goatee whose mentor is Raistlin Majere via dimensional warp to Greyhawk's past. Adventure to be called the LORE CAVERNS OF TSOJCANTH each keyed area will have historical wall carvings on exciting past events that will never happen in this game session.
4) IUZ: A new third form is going to be busty female which will be so popular they're ditching all the "demon crap" in the next edition to get to know her softer side.
5) SLAVERS: Every adventure has expanded the A4 no weapons/armor segment to just be sticks, fires and face masks: A1 99 Percenter Pits of the Undercity, A2 Secret of the One Percenters' Stockade, A3 Assault on the Aerie of the One Percenters, and A4 In the Dungeons of the One Percenters
6) ISLE OF THE APE: Retitled "ISLE OF NON-SPECIEST FELLOW PERSON" with a Spelljammer tie-in with no maps but 8 pages of Spelljammer captain's log detailing the discovery of Greyhawk and the whole island populated by dinosaur-headed headed saurials from Forgotten Realms. Oonga will be a wizard-robed 10 foot tall with a an oversized 5 foot head.
7) MORDENKAINEN'S FANTASTIC ADVENTURE: Retitled "DUNGEONS OF THE GNOLL BARD" with the triple Iron Golem being the new fractioned Iron Golem with a feather boa that adds hit points.
I agree, the odds of getting anything Greyhawk I'd like are slim. But it's hard not to be curious. Gary's lackadaisical approach to consistency didn't help. Too much crap has been 'canonized' and even the better material didn't really mesh with EGG's style. But that's been the case since Gary was ousted, so I have no expectations to be crushed.